21.2.08

Facebook Mystifies Me...

Wow, so, just when I thought I had the hang of these crazy techmologies, someone throws a wrench in the works and screws everything up. Basically, I'm still pissed at Facebook for adding a bazillion and one useless applications.

Currently, I have TWENTY FOUR pending requests to join groups ranging from "Which Foreign Guy Should You Date?" to the pointless-seeming "Pillow Fight." Somebody wants me to join Team Zombie, and someone else wants me to join Team Pirate. If I join Team Triumph, I can supposedly "build up armies and attack other players and compete to take over the world!"

Other programs seemed geared to rank my hotness/smartness/political savvy against my friends, and still others appear to want to get to know me better by making me list every book I've read, movie I've watched, alcoholic drink I like, or song I listen to. (Note: just ask!!) I'm still intrigued by what the "Are You Interested?" application could possibly mean, but I'm not entirely sure it's G-rated...

What are all of these ridiculous applications?!? Does anyone understand them?! Do people like me better if I join them?

Sigh. Back in MY day, Facebook used to be about stalking cute boys in your classes, and looking at drunk pictures of people you went to high school with, laughing at how much better your life turned out. Now it's all complicated and irritating and... weird.

But I suppose the upside of having umpteen million random applications available is that I'm learning about my friends' quirks by what bizarre things they ask me to join. The "I am Green" and "Obama 08" apps are perhaps a bit more up my alley than the one that claims that my birthday "makes me HOT!" (Which it of course does, but I digress.) The person who sent me a "Traveler IQ quiz" clearly has a handle on what nerdy things I dig.

But let's just say that the person who invited me to join Knighthood ("Krystyna, you will love this game. I just gave you a Title of Nobility at my court. Claim your title and play this game with me.") might not actually know me all that well...

2 comments:

sam said...

people in HK looooooove facebook applications. I think it forms like a social outlet -- you're all working a million hours a day, so you can't really talk, but you can pet somebody's fluffy pet or send them some kind of graphic item or whatever, which proves you were thinking about them.

Which isn't to say I endorse applications. It's a HUUUUUUGE time-suck, one more way of losing an hour to the internet. But a completely empty way, not at all like maintaining or reading blogs...

laura said...

If I were to add you to anything it would be the "Make a Baby" application.

So far my sister and I have a child.