9.10.07

Happy Paralegal Week!!!



OK, so I'm actually a week late. Paralegal Week was LAST week, that is October 1-7, but I figure that it's alright to extend the holiday season a little and celebrate this glorious event just a bit more.

Apparently, Paralegal Week happens because BOTH the Mayor of DC and the Governor of Maryland signed proclamations to that effect. Several thoughts:
1. Proclamations still exist?!? I thought they went out of style in 1863 with the Emancipation Proclamation, which was, after all, a pretty bad-ass proclamation. It sort of tickles me that elected officials can still issue proclamations. I wish we could have a "royal decree" in favor of Paralegal Week, too. Maybe they do in the UK.
2. What the hell is wrong with the Governor of Virginia for NOT supporting my valuable contributions to the legal community?! I mean, come on. If both DC and Maryland support Paralegal Week, you'd think VA would want to join the bandwagon too, and reap some goodwill among the toiling masses of entry-level paralegals in the metro area (or worse: the PERMAlegals who do this as a career... shudder). Anyway, just in case you want to register your shock at the Governor of Virgina's complete callousness and utter disregard for paralegals everywhere, I have provided a link to his "contact me" page: http://www.governor.virginia.gov/AboutTheGovernor/contactGovernor.cfm
3. Just in case you still don't believe me that there are actual proclamations, I've posted one of them as proof that absurdity is alive and well. This is the one from the Mayor of DC's office, and it's really slick. See, even while lauding the "trained professionals who provide substantive legal assistance," he managed to slide in a little lefty politics about the voting rights of the District!! (The actual text cleverly reads: "Whereas, paralegals who live in Washington, DC serve the legal profession admirably, despite being denied full voting rights in Congress...") WHOAAAA there it is!! So maybe this whole proclamation thing was only an opportunity for him to promote his own political agenda, and wasn't actually about the paralegals at all!!! Oh my god. This realization is like discovering that the tooth fairy isn't real.
4. Um, don't actually contact the governor about this. OK, maybe that would be pretty funny if he started getting outraged emails over this. Haha.

So anyway, having nothing better to do for Paralegal Week, I decided to make cards for my coworkers, thanking them for their valued contributions to the firm and the legal community at large on my behalf. Then, I spent about three hours one day hand-delivering them to other offices, and chatting for a while, no doubt spreading the joy of the festivities wherever I went. As Xiaolu put it, "You are to Paralegal Week what Santa Clause is to Christmas. Minus the huge belly, of course." I can't think of a better compliment.

1 comment:

sam said...

I'm pretty sure most contemporary proclamations are for holidays-that-we-don't-get-work-off-for, and I think the document that spares one turkey's life on Thanksgiving (by Presidential pardon) is also referred to as a proclamation.