8.1.08

In Which I Visit the Big Apple.

"Can I possibly be grown-up enough to go on a business trip?"

That's the question on my mind this week. Apparently, it has been answered in the affirmative -- by my employers, at least!

I got the rare opportunity to work out of the New York office for a few days to help our firm's team prepare for an upcoming trial. With the constant flurry to get up to speed before the big day, the lawyers need a lot of help obtaining, organizing, and digesting the documents, which is where paralegals enter the picture. As luck would have it, there were no available paralegals to help out in NYC, and I wrangled an invite to come up here - all expenses paid.

I could easily digress into an analysis of my ethical concerns with accepting such treatment. Do I deserve a train ride, gorgeous downtown hotel room, and the promise of fully-reimbursed meals? Am I a critical enough member of the team at this point in my career to warrant it? How do I, in a broader sense, reconcile my tendency towards a life of simplicity with a corporate job?

My inner monologue over the past few days has clearly been one of desert and privilege, and if I ever have an epiphany on that train of thought I'll be sure to let you know. For the moment, I'm convinced of several things: that my assistance was definitely needed in New York, that in the scope of pharmaceutical patent litigation, the expenses I have incurred are both minimal and acceptable, and that despite my hesitations about it, working in the private sector has its privileges. The best thing I can do is to be mindful of my privilege, appreciate it while it lasts, and in the long run, use the advantage it gives me to somehow better the world.

In all honestly, though, I can't say that I've been plagued with guilt. I have been enjoying this trip so damn much, and I'm so grateful to have been given the opportunity. Not only am I getting my TV fix (I still don't own one at home, and am consuming enough CNN and TBS to make up for lost time!) and eating sushi every night, but I am giving my imagination a good workout by pretending, for just a few days, to be a young professional working in New York City. Strange thing is, I kind of like that vision.

1 comment:

sam said...

they didn't spring for the NY-DC shuttle? for shame!